This interview took place at the Deep Learning in Healthcare Summit, London 2017.
Michel shared with RE•WORK his opinions on the following topics:
- What motivated you to start your work in deep learning?
- Tell us more about your current research at AstraZeneca.
- What are the key factors that have enabled recent advancements in deep learning?
- What present or potential future applications of deep learning in healthcare excite you most?
- How will these impact clinical decision making?
- What are the main types of problems now being addressed in the field?
- What developments can we expect to see in deep learning in the next 5 years?
Michel Vandenberghe is working at AstraZeneca, developing deep learning algorithms to analyse immunohistochemistry biomarkers and evaluating the potential uses of deep learning to support biomarker development and clinical decision making. Prior to that, he gained a PhD in Computer Science at University Pierre and Marie Curie, and a Doctorate in Pharmacy, at the University Paris Sud XI.