This interview took place at the Machine Intelligence Summit, San Francisco 2017.
RE•WORK sat down with Hossein to find out his opinion on the following questions:
- What motivated you to start working in machine intelligence, specifically recommendation systems?
- Tell us how Netflix is applying this technology with recommendations.
- How is machine learning improving the customer experience?
- What advancements can we expect in machine learning over the next 5 years?
- What advancements are you most excited for?
Hossein Taghavi received the B.Sc. degree from Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran, in 2003, and the Ph.D. degree from the University of California at San Diego, La Jolla, in 2008, in electrical engineering. From 2008 to 2011, he was with Qualcomm, Inc. in San Diego, CA, conducting research and development on algorithms and systems for wireless networks. From 2011 to 2013, he was with Opera Solutions, LLC., in San Diego, CA, applying machine learning and data analytics to a variety of business applications. Since 2013, he has been with Netflix, Inc., contributing to algorithms and software driving the personalization and recommendation systems for Netflix members. His current interests include machine learning, recommendation systems, and distributed computing.